A VPN Service – Securing Data Transfer from a Private Network over a Public Infrastructure
Businesses around the world see the advantage of using a VPN (virtual private network) service because it offers a secured environment for connectivity over a public network including the Internet. When companies need to gain access to their intranet server from a remote location/network, they rely on the functionality of a VPN service .
The remote location can be anywhere in the world including an additional workplace, a home network, or an Internet connection from another country. Through tunnel technology, a virtual private network (VPN service)will encrypt all confidential data before transmitting it over an unsecured environment, like the Internet. This ensures that the data remains private and secure while it travels to the remote location, and back.
The Functionality of a VPN service:
A virtual private network allows companies to do various things that might otherwise be impossible through a standard network that include:
- Privacy and Security – Through VPNs, all intranet and extranet traffic traveling through a virtual private network is securely maintained. This allows employees a private connection through a public network including coffee shops, conferences and hotels.
- Remote Access – With the ability to gain instant access as though the employee was actually sitting in their physical office, remote access is provided from anywhere in the world, to the company’s servers that contain the databases, email, folders, internal webpages and other data.
- Home Network Access – With the ability to remotely gain access to home computers, employees can retrieve iTunes shares, and files on their home hard drive, along with other company and personal data.
- Access to Restricted Content – A VPN (Virtual Private Network) automatically reassigns the true company’s server IP address and exchanges it with one that reflects anonymity. Companies can reset the geo-location of the IP address to reflect any country in the world, to obtain restricted content.
- Circumvent Restricted Networks – Many countries in the world restrict network accessibility including those that contain video chat, instant messaging, games and VoIP (voice over Internet protocol). With the ability to circumvent restricted networks, employees can gain instant access to social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and others, along with blogging websites, and streaming sites like Pandora and Netflix.
With the increasing threats of cyber-attacks across public networks, from hackers and thieves eager to sniff, listen or intercept confidential data, it is more important than ever to use a virtual private network. Companies can maintain high security when employees type in their username/passwords combinations. VPNs also help safeguard against man-in-the-middle attacks and other malicious activity.